John Francis Basset21 Commercial Street
This recent (2011) addition to the Wetherspoons presence in Cornwall is housed right in the centre of town in the former Market House, built in 1866 by architect William Bond. Other previous incarnations of the building have included the Scala cinema, a night club, and a pub called the Corn Exchange. Now named after a prominent former mine owner in the area, it is large, open-plan, light and airy with high ceilings and tall windows, and with a single long bar sporting two banks each of 5 handpumps. In addition to the regular Greene King fare, there is usually an impressive selection of local and other micro-brewery beers on offer. The décor largely reflects the area's mining history; the TV screens are generally unobtrusive. Food is available all day from 07:00 until 23:00. Something of an oasis in a bit of a local beer desert, and well worth a visit.