White Hart25 New Bridge Street
Basic but comfortable town pub near the bus station and allegedly the oldest pub in town. This small local, which caters for all tastes, also marketed itself for years as the Crab & Ale House until recently (summer 2013), hence the crab pots and other nautical bric-à-brac hanging from nets in the bar. Entry is down a step from the pavement. The guest ale changes weekly and is often a Cornish brew. Opened originally as a pub in 1788, the White Hart (the name is preserved on the frontage) is one of the few remaining pubs close to the main shopping area and cathedral, most having been converted into building societies or shops. Bar meals are available 1200-1430 daily, and Sun-Wed evenings during summer only.