Campaign for Real Ale

Campaign for Real Ale

First & Last Inn

TR19 7AD
Telephone(01736) 871680
Real AleReal FireFamily FriendlyGardenAccommodationLunchtime MealsEvening MealsGamesCiderParkingSmokingWiFi
Opening times: Mon–Sat 11:00-23:00; Sun 12:00-24:00; Autumn: Mon–Sat 12:00-14:00, 18:00-24:00; Sun 12:00-24:00

See more about this pub on WhatPub, CAMRA's national pub guide.

Established in 1620 and steeped in history as a churchmasons' dwelling during the building of the church, this is now a traditional country pub, literally the last (or first) one on the mainland. The low-beamed central bar has half-panel stone walls, spacious seating to the front and left, and a stove at either end of the room. The walls are decorated with a variety of nautical pictures and paraphenalia, and a glass panel in the floor covers an old well - "Annie's Well" - which leads to a smugglers' tunnel. There are separate rooms for dining and games, and a cosy room at one end is furnished with unusual half-barrel chairs and tables. Home-cooked food is served daily. The two guest ales are varied regularly; cider is from Weston's or a local cider maker. The pub supports local teams including pool, football and cricket. Bands play on a Saturday night; accommodation is in 3 flats. Legend has it that the ghost of a former landlady inhabits the pub - she was staked out on the beach and drowned after turning King's Evidence against some smugglers, and her body taken back to the inn.